A Paleo Shepherd’s Pie Recipe You Can’t Live Without
This Paleo Shepherd’s Pie dish is an all time favorite of just about everyone’s and fortunately for Paleo eaters, or those on a low-carb or Banting diet, this recipe allows you to enjoy the healthy version without the carbs, grain or gluten.
In fact not only is this recipe full of healthy nutritional & real food, but it is just as tasty as the original.
You can substitute the beef for lamb, as per the traditional Shepherd’s Pie recipe, but I’ve kept it simple with the grass-fed beef so perhaps it should be called Cottage Pie, but either way it’s a tasty dish that everyone can look forward to.
Try it, I’m sure you will love it.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tbs butter (grass-fed)
- 1-3 tbs cream (optional)
- Salt & pepper taste
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen organic peas & carrots, thawed
- ¾ cup frozen organic green beans, thawed
- 1 pound ground grass-fed beef or bison
- 1 tbs coconut flour or almond flour
- ¾ cup beef stock or broth
- 1 tbs chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 tbs butter
- Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F)
- Break the cauliflower up into chunky pieces and steam until just tender
- Place in your food processor with 2 tablespoons butter and process until smooth.
- Add salt & pepper to taste
- Add 1 tablespoon of the cream (which is optional but gives it a rich creamy taste) at a time until smooth but still fairly thick & then set aside
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-low heat
- Add the onion and sauté several minutes until soft & then add beef and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring to break up the meat so it browns evenly.
- Add peas, carrots and green beans and cook another five minutes
- Stir in the coconut flour.
- Add broth and herbs and reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from skillet and put into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Spread the cauliflower over the top.
- Scatter 2 tablespoons of butter cut into small pieces on top of the cauliflower.
- Bake 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven & serve this all time popular dish
PS. Take a look at this fantastic collection of delicious Paleo recipes (& 10-Week meal plan) which will help you prepare tasty & exciting dishes for every meal…