Paleo Porridge Recipe
Traditional breakfast porridge is made with oats, however this Paleo porridge recipe provides you with a tasty gluten free option.
Whilst oats (including rolled oats) are marketed as a healthy breakfast food, they contain phytic acid (phytate) & anti-nutrients (as do other grains and legumes) which cause inflammation, contribute to leaky gut, trigger autoimmune disease and weaken your immune system.
So you get the picture, you need to avoid oats to keep healthy & slim but with this recipe you don’t need to go without your breakfast porridge.
- 1 small handful of walnuts
- 1 small handful of pecans
- 2 tbs ground flax seed
- ½ to 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 tbs almond butter
- 1 banana, mashed
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (add more if you prefer it a little runny)
- 2 tsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 handful of goji berries or fresh berries
- Add walnuts, pecans, flax seed and spices to a food processor and pulse it down into a course grain mixture – ensure you don’t grind it into powder though.
- Whisk the eggs and almond milk together until the consistency thickens into a custard like consistency.
- Blend the mashed banana and almond butter together and add it to the eggs & almond milk mixture whilst mixing well.
- Then stir in the dry course nut mixture.
- Heat up the “oats” in a microwave oven or, whilst stirring, gently warm up in a pot on the stove until it gets to the consistency you like your oats to be.
- Lastly, sprinkle the pumpkin seeds and berries all over & add more almond milk if needed – enjoy your healthy Paleo porridge for breakfast!
PS. Take a look at this massive collection of delicious Paleo recipes (& 10-Week meal plan) which will help you prepare tasty & exciting dishes for every meal…